It’s been over a week since we lost a predominant figure in the rap game as well as around the world and particularly in his community. Nipsey Hussle, birth name Ermias Joseph Asghedom, wasn’t just known for his lyrics but for his activism, entrepreneurship, spirit and his overall efforts/contributions to bettering himself and his community. Nipsey Hussle was and still is an inspiration to those who know him and even those just finding out about him through his death. He was truly the 2Pac of our generation and his legacy will forever live on.
Ermias will be taking his final victory lap tomorrow, April 11, and to honor his memory I would like to share a few gems that will inspire myself and everyone else to continue the marathon. It won’t be easy but it is possible and with his words of encouragement we can become whatever we want and create a path for our children and their children to follow.
1. “The most important thing, number one, is you gotta get rid of doubt. If you got doubt in what you’re doing, it’s not gonna work and the way to do that is you have a plan. ‘Cause if you got a plan, it’s not just like a pipe-dream, you have a step-by-step list of things to do to get to your goal. If you don’t have that, it’s very hard to really have faith in what you’re doing ’cause soon as something pop up, it’s gonna look like the end-all.”
2. “The company you keep has a large influence on the situations you bring to yourself. So, whatever direction motherfuckers are heading in, whether it’s rap music, production, or a 9-5 life, whatever it is; you gotta surround yourself with people that’s like-minded and focused on the same goal you’re focused on. Birds of a feather flock together.”
3. ” You gotta just stick to the script, believe and have an overwhelming confidence. Be your own biggest fan, your own biggest believer, and put it on your back and carry the weight.”
4. “The best teacher in life is your own experience/ None of us know who we are until we fail/ They say every man is defined by his reaction to any given situation/ Well who would you want to define you?/ Someone else or yourself? Whatever you do, homie, give your heart to it/ And stay strong.”
5. “Instead of trying to build a brick wall, lay a brick everyday. Eventually you’ll look up and you’ll have a brick wall.”
6. “I just believe in ownership… I believe in investing in yourself…Your foundation should be strong.”
What will you do to help the marathon continue?
I’m going to continue to have faith in myself, study my craft more and learn more about investing. I want have/attend events to help empower and women like myself. The list will only grow and one day I will have that peace & financial stability I desire.
Until then I’m going to leave you with my favorite song from Nipsey 💙🏁🕊